Friday, March 11, 2011

St. Patrick's Day Mug Rug

 
Despite being a busy week, work-wise—or perhaps because it has been—I stole away to the sewing room last night to futz around with an idea that had been percolating in my P-brain.

A fellow Men's Sew Along-er, Cinnamon, sent me some gorgeous emerald green fabric that she was using for her shirt muslin.  She mentioned she had yards of it left and wasn't quite as enamored of it anymore, and graciously agreed to part with some.  Yay!  I love it!

After I got done petting it, I started to think about what all I could do with it.  I think an Irish Chain quilt is a definite possibility.

Double Irish Chain
But being the sort that needs more immediate gratification, and with St. Patrick's Day just around the corner, and having very limited time to sew anything lately, I came up with this Irish-inspired mug rug!

From left to right, we have the Irish flag, in the center a shamrock, and on the right, a 9-patch or the beginning of an Irish chain.

Sweet, huh?

Here's the back:

If there's any interest in a tutorial, let me know.  In the meantime, be sure to visit the folks who've linked at Sarah's:

19 comments:

Jenny said...

very sweet!

Shannon @ Monkey Dog said...

I LOVE it! It is uber-cute and is crafted very nicely! *Envy* Sew On!

Elizabeth said...

First, YAY! Your comments come up in a pop-up window! Thank you a ton!

Second, I am SO wowed! I love that emerald green fabric. It is amazing.

Third, I LOVE what you did with that emerald green fabric. Pure genius! Super, super cute! Your backing fabric is fabulous too. P, your projects are always so well executed. LOVE it!

I would love instructions for the cute little shamrock. I'm making a quilt for every month (eventually) and March's quilt will be St. Patrick's day themed. I think my quilt NEEDS a border of super adorable shamrocks.

xo -El

Susan said...

I love your mug rug! So cute!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Sweet!

P-brain:)

greelyrita said...

Very very nice! I like the black and white marriage and how separate it is from the squares. Just lovely!

SueWis said...

I am totally not into St. Pat's day but this is soooo cute!

Shay said...

Whoop! Whoop! Love the teacup too!

I like the variation on plain green for St Paddy's day . Great mug rug P!

Ironically my verification word was wine...maybe blogger is telling me I should make some wine rugs?

quiltzyx said...

That is one of my favorite mug rugs I've seen ~ great job!
You could say that the 9-Patch is just a Single Irish Chaing....

Whoop-whoop!!

Anonymous said...

I have to know how you made this! I love it. That's LOVE it!!! Please post the tutorial.

Sarah Craig said...

Whoop whoop!! I love your mug rug - probably the best one I've ever seen! You definitely should do a tutorial for it. And lucky you to score that great green fabric!!

the gathering girls said...

very nice mug rug!

Laura said...

I am of Irish descent and I love it! Very inventive!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I LOVE that green fabric! I wish I'd had some of that yesterday for my Pineapple block tutorial. The mug rug is cute, too.

Kristen said...

Great rug! I love the theme of all three blocks!

MomWaldsPlace said...

I totally get it. I am in the process of collecting fabric for an "immediate gratification project" right this very minute.

Nice mug rug!

sewtakeahike said...

I totally love that little shamrock!!! So sweet!

Kay Lynne said...

That is a really cute project--small quilting projects are great when time is short!

Michelle said...

Wow! The mug rug came out wonderfully. I love that green fabric. Lucky for you Cinnamon was tired of it.