Friday, September 2, 2011

Pips Quilt Top Finish!

I've been calling this quilt Pips in a Basket, but today it was more like Pips in the Breeze. 

What to do when a quilt won't hold still for the camera?  Take action shots, of course.  Seventeen of them, to be exact (don't worry, I'm only posting a couple).  

I finished this quilt top on Wednesday and kept the momentum going by getting a scrappy binding made for it right away.  

I had set aside the Sherbet Pips jelly roll strips that had a mostly gray background, since they wouldn't have worked as well in the top itself.

The inner border of the top is Kona Snow.  The outer border is more Quilter's Candy in Ash from Connecting Threads.

The backing I have in mind for it is a Legacy Studios print from Joann that was on Red Tag clearance a few months ago.  It was such a deal, I bought many yards of it, which turned out to be a good thing.  I just love those bluebirds!

I have Sarah to thank for the giveaway of the cute Sherbet Pips jelly roll in the H2H Quilt Challenge.  The pattern, as I've mentioned before, is Cluck Cluck Sew's Basket Case.  It was very well written and went together slick as a whistle, though I did change the direction some of the seams were pressed so they would nest together.  I also employed the flat side of my seam ripper to guide matched seams under the presser foot without shifting after I'd taken the pin out.  That helped keep the seams lined up nicely when joining blocks together.

So there you have it ~ a fluttery flimsy for Friday!



11 comments:

Larri said...

Ooh! Love it. Great job and 'Whoop Whoop' ☺

Sara said...

Let me just say this first---this is INCREDIBLE!!!! I really admire the bird fabric you have chosen for the back too---it is going to sing with the Sherbet Pips! Sometimes those red tags at Joanns are something to be desired and then there are those that are wonderful!!

Enjoy your weekend Paulette!

Pokey said...

The scrappy binding is gonna be the best finish! You birdy background is cool, too, can't wait to see it all together ~
:-}pokey

Miri said...

I just love this! I love the grey background and the white inner border is perfect for setting it all off!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

I agree...the borders are perfect! Great backing fabric, too!

Karen said...

Love it! Great binding and truly great backing! Congrats!

Sarah Craig said...

It's just beautiful, P! I love your choice of borders, and the backing is going to be perfect!! Whoop whoop whoop!!!

Unknown said...

Oh I love it...sooo colorful! Just found your blog and now following!
Stop by and visit and follower us too! Luv

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

I agree, the borders are perfect! Beautiful quilt!

Joe said...

That is cool, PPH. Nice job.

Michelle said...

Beautiful quilt top! That scrappy binding is going to look fantastic. :-)