Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Royal Haeger Green


With St. Patrick's Day just around the corner, I thought I'd feature some gorgeous green for Vintage Thingie Thursday.

I've been collecting Royal Haeger art pottery for over 10 years. There's just something about the fluid curves, elegant design, and beautiful glazes of these pieces that appeals to me.

Here are a few pieces of Royal Haeger from the 1940s and '50s in the "green agate" glaze, which is a lovely deep green with blue marbling.

Haeger Potteries was established in 1871 in Dundee, Illinois. The Elm Leaf vase bears an original sticker indicating it was a 75th anniversary piece, which dates it to 1946. It stands 12-1/2 inches tall.

This Sailfish vase is 9-1/2 inches high. How about that rolling sea?

Both the Elm Leaf and Sailfish vases were designed by Royal Hickman. According to The House of Haeger 1914-1944, by Joe and Joyce Paradis:

In 1938, Haeger broke the inertia that had hit commercial art pottery by bringing to its staff the exceptional Royal Hickman, a largely self-taught designer with a finger directly on the pulse of the people. His natural gifts were such that he could work in many styles; but his personal contribution to design was one that might be called "New Baroque," a sculptural style rooted in nature but with a flamboyance, energy, and richness that was new to American ceramics. It could be considered a further development of the naturalism in Art Nouveau as found in the ceramics of Louis Comfort Tiffany and turn-of-the-century Artus Van Briggle, but it goes well beyond them in the extent of its movement and sensuousness.

Royal Hickman designed numerous pieces for Haeger during the period 1938-1944 and on a freelance basis thereafter, but "his single subject of greatest public appeal was a black panther. As a planter, a lamp, or simply a figurine, it became a major icon in the American middle class home for over twenty years and is still around in a multitude of imitations."

Perhaps you've seen one of them:

Haeger also produced, on a limited basis, work done by individual designers in their own homes and studios. The Prancing Horse Lamp was a Studio Haeger design from the 1950s, when Haeger began making TV lamps. I found this one in an antique shop in Galena, Illinois a few years ago.

I hope you have enjoyed seeing just a few examples of Royal Haeger pottery. Thanks for stopping by, and be sure to visit Colorado Lady and everyone participating in Vintage Thingie Thursday!

29 comments:

GaAm said...

I was wondering when you were going to bring out the "ugly" pottery(as you once called it--"I collect ugly pottery," you once said.)

I've always liked these, and I love the color.

Postcardy said...

I enjoyed seeing your Royal Haeger. I like the sleek shape of the panther, but I like the green better than the black.

Maureen said...

The horse is beautiful!

Jane said...

I really enjoyed seeing all of your beautiful Royal Haeger pieces. I didn't know anything about Royal Haeger so I found your post very interesting. Thanks for stopping by my blog for a visit.
Jane

Paulette said...

GaelicAmethyst: This is the good stuff, but just wait, I'll get to the "ugly" stuff eventually. :)

Sarah said...

Beautiful pieces! I think the leaf vase is my favorite. :-)

Debbie said...

Beautiful colors. And they are in such great shape for their age.

Charlotte said...

There are no ugly pieces of pottery! I especially love the panther.

Ulla said...

I love the power of the horse and the smoothness of the black panther. Interesting post!

Coloradolady said...

These are really interesting. I have seen a couple before, but most were new to me. The greens are amazing....thanks for the reminder on St. Patty day...I had almost forgot what I was going to post about ;) Have a great VTT and a wonderful weekend.

Vonlipi said...

How interesting! I love to have background history. Beautiful pieces!

LV said...

I have not seen these and you have a great collection. They are such a rich green. You gave us an interesting background on them. Very nice post.

Pokey said...

Very nice collection. I grew up with the black panther on the coffee table!

CC said...

They are all beautiful,but my favorite is the green leaf vase.The color and lines are just gorgeous. Happy VTT..have a wonderful weekend.

Kim, USA said...

Oh my they are so pretty and they are the right image for this coming St. Patrick's day.

VTT~Old cameras

Jess said...

Those are so cool! If you are interested in joining, I am starting a link party called Favorite Things Friday...I will be starting the 19th. I hope you come join in!

Anonymous said...

very nice pieces! I really like the horse.

Ann said...

Those are unique, don't believe I've every seen any of these. Nice pics. Happy VTT
Ann

SueWis said...

Look at those colors! Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the history, too. Very fun.

Toronto Yardsaler said...

I just discovered your blog. Love it. I'll link it on mine.
All the best,
Erin

Amanda Lee said...

Such gorgeous pottery! I love the glazing on the green pieces. My grandmother had the black panther in her house, and when she passed away, I got it as a memento. Love it.

Troy said...

I used to have an eye doctor who had a panther like that in his office. It was probably 4-5 feet long and bronze with a glass oval on top of it for a coffee style table, I loved it.

Stephanie said...

Very interesting and informative. I am always impressed by vintage pottery, as it is so lucky to not have been broken!! Peace, Stephanie

Gwendolen Elaine said...

All these pieces have such a beautiful luster.I do like the green best...can't wait to see your other pieces!

Tammy said...

Wow..the dark green colours are stunning. Lovely pieces.

Stacey said...

These pieces look very streamlined and Art Deco... What a great collection you have!

Anonymous said...

Love your designs I wish that I gould find more
George in Canada

Gail said...

I have this planter, but the horse has a sage green body with tan mane and tree. My parents got it for their wedding in 1946. Could it be the same maker?

Van Briggle said...

Thanks for sharing such beautiful pieces. I admire your collection!